February 17, 2011

Winter time, and the livin' is slow


Silver lining light, W. King Road, Ithaca, N.Y.

Things have been slow, I'm not gonna lie. Thank God for savings. But this slow time is also a blessing, giving me time to do all of the things I should be doing - updating my website, blogging (!) and marketing. But more importantly, it's a time to make new pictures for myself and no one else.
I used to love going out to shoot for the pure love of it, driven only by my ego and wanderlust. Or better yet, feeling the uncontrollable pull of my camera as I happened upon a blazing sunset or sunrise, risking life or limb to capture such beauty (driving while shooting (DWS), or haphazardly pulling over to the side of the road).



But something happened during this past glorious year, filled with assignments du jour: when I didn't have to work, I didn't. I was OK with giving my award-winning eyes and camera a rest, and enjoying life in the first person.
There's something to be said for having the privilege of making a living doing what you love, but then having your relationship to it change when it's been monetized.
I'm still extremely grateful to be a working photographer (who teaches and assists on the side), but now know I need to work on my relationship with my inner photographer, who has clearly been neglected.


Truxton country road, en route from an Edible Finger Lakes shoot.

No comments: